Monday, December 21, 2015

Top 10 of 2015: Best Books I’ve Read in 2015

It's that time of the year. My fervent wish for December to go extra slow remains unheard, it seems. Oh well, nothing we can do about it now. Here is one thing to get excited for though: the time for our top favorites to be on display! Favorite books, covers, characters, upcoming releases... we all know how awesome lists are and a week-long of it? Mmm-hmm.

Now let's get to the first Top 10 list - the BEST BOOKS I've read this 2015!

This ought to be hard but... it's actually not. I didn't pick up a lot of new releases this year. I like giving attention to books that are, you could say, "outdated". Books that people aren't really talking about anymore. Unfortunately, out of the 100+ books I read this year, I only gave 5 stars to three of them. THREE! Clearly an issue I need to resolve this 2016. Plenty of them came close though.

10 Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella
Published: June 9, 2015
Finding Audrey



I found myself unable to resist. I've wanted to read a Sophie Kinsella book for years (like, 10 years! no kidding) and Finding Audrey had so much buzz when it was released that I thought it'd be great to start with this book. And I am glad for that choice. Finding Audrey is funny and realistic. It has a great family dynamic which I love in a book, and I really liked what Sophie Kinsella had done to deliver the story. I am now a fan. I'm thinking about reading her I've Got Your Number next!


9 What Happens Next by Colleen Clayton
Published: October 9, 2012
What Happens Next



I saw this at a bargain bookstore and it got me curious. I decided to check it out on Goodreads before buying it and was surprised to see that while only around 10 of my friends have read it, they gave it either a 4 or 5 stars. All I could think after reading it was: "Why are people not reading this?"
We all make mistakes that can alter our lives but it is entirely up to us how we choose to deal with the consequences. It's either we accept the love and courage our friends and family give us to move on, or just give up entirely without even trying. What Happens Next is precious to me, and that is saying something. I rarely find contemporary books like these and I read quite a lot of them.


8 Puddle Jumping by Amber L. Johnson
Published: July 29, 2014
Puddle Jumping (Puddle Jumping, #1)



Here is another contemporary book that had managed to crawl its way into my heart this year. You can read my review of Puddle Jumping HERE. I love this book. Seriously, read this. It's short. It'd be worth your while.


7 Romancing the Duke by Tessa Dare (Published January 28, 2014)
7 When a Scot Ties the Knot by Tessa Dare (Published August 25, 2015)
Romancing the Duke (Castles Ever After, #1) When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After, #3)



Oh, these books are such delights! I put them both on my 7th spot because they are equally hilarious and wonderful. They're also part of the same series so...
I don't think I've read any historical romance books before this but Tessa Dare immediately got me hooked! You can go read my review of the first three books in the series HERE.


6 The Winter King by C.L. Wilson
Published: July 29, 2014
The Winter King (Weathermages of Mystral, #1)



This book is so addicting! I didn't go online for two days - TWO DAYS! - 'cause I'd rather be reading this. I loved the characters and the story. So many feels! I was hit even before the first chapter. The prologue already had me in tears!


5 The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
Published: May 12, 2015
The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1)



This book is so good. SO. GOOD. I'm glad I let the hype get to me or I wouldn't have picked it up sooner. I love this book so much my heart is near exploding. For those of you who don't know, The Wrath and the Dawn was inspired by A Thousand and One Nights and it is INCREDIBLE! My heart... I am dying to read the second book.


4 The Deal by Elle Kennedy
Published: February 24, 2015
The Deal (Off-Campus, #1)




I read The Deal, like, a hundred times this year. That's how much I loved it. It's a New Adult book if, by any chance, you can't tell from that cover alone *wink*. The Deal is one of the very few NA books that I love. Read my full review HERE.


3 Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost
Published: October 30, 2007
Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1)



I read the entire Night Huntress series this year, all seven of them in just one month! Talk about binge reading. When it comes to series with more than five books I usually take long (as in more or less months) breaks in between. But this is just so addicting! I'd decide to take a break but a few days later I'd pine and then I'd cave. Even now as I am typing this I am starting to miss Cat and Bones. This, for sure, will lead to another reread which I have also done quite a few times this year. It's sexy, it's funny, it's kick-ass and bloody and action-packed and emotional, but the first book is the best one in the series for me. You can read my review of the whole series HERE.


2 The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson
Published: February 11, 2010
The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)



I don't even know what to say about this book except that it is amazing. Very intricate and complex and vast. I can't begin to imagine the world Brandon Sanderson had created and this conclusion to his Mistborn trilogy completely blew my mind. Revelations until the very last page! I think my heart stopped plenty of times reading this book. I was an emotional mess until the end. I remember coming home from a party at who-knows-o'clock in the morning a bit tipsy, determined to finish the hundred pages left (I know, I'm crazy), and then desperately wishing for more alcohol to drown my feels when I did.


1 Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
Published: April 24, 1989
Number the Stars



This book left me speechless. I knew it was going to be one of the best books I've read this year. It is an amazing and gripping read especially for a children's book. That coming from 21-year old me. I wonder what it would have been like if I read this in my early years.

SPECIAL MENTIONS:

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian The Wondrous and the Wicked (The Dispossessed, #3) Not a Drop to Drink (Not a Drop to Drink, #1) Vision in Silver (The Others, #3)

What about you? What books made your top 10 - or 15 - this year? Leave a link if you have :)

18 comments:

  1. I love Jeaniene Frost and also Anne Bishop. I haven't read the Lois Lowery book that you have listed, but I read all the books in The Giver series and loved them. I'll have to look into some of the others you have listed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Number the Stars is the only Lois Lowry book I have read so far. I'm definitely reading The Giver series. Thanks for stopping by, Melanie!

      Delete
  2. Finding Audrey was SO GOOD!!!! I still need to read The Wrath and the Dawn. I'm not sure it's really my kind of book, but I'm so intrigued by all of the amazing reviews for it. Plus the cover is GORGEOUS!! Loved the Deal!! So many great picks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is (Finding Audrey)! I can't wait to read more Sophie Kinsella book.

      The Wrath and the Dawn really is gorgeous especially the end pages of the hardcover edition. I hope you enjoy it nonetheless :)

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to see Puddle Jumping is on your list! I have never really heard much about this book in the book community, but I still find it to be interesting and I wanted to read it :) So, I'm glad to see someone loves it!

    Cucie @ Cucie Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. Though most of the reviews I saw on Goodreads are all positive and it really is a great book :)

      Delete
  4. Awesome list they’re all such great picks! Thanks so much for taking part in the Top 10 of 2015! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your Top 10’s :D
    Hugs,
    Jaime @ Two Chicks On Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaime! Really glad to have joined the fun ;)

      Delete
  5. AHHH I too finally got to the Night Huntress books this year and devoured the series quickly. Cat and Bones are the best! My favorite one is the third. I missed the world so much when I finish I started diving into the spin offs lol. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly how you feel! I couldn't stay away long from Cat and Bones. They demand my attention. They are such a wonderful pair :D

      Thanks, Teresa!

      Delete
  6. YAY! I been seeing TWATD all over the place today. I didn't make my list but I was one of my faves for this year. (Me and my co-blogger split the list so I only had five :O) Great list!

    Amber | The Book Bratz
    My Top 10 2015
    *New Follower*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Would love to see both your lists, Amber. Will be heading to your blog in a while :)

      Thanks for following my blog!

      Delete
  7. I've heard many great things for The Wrath and The Dawn so I can't wait to pick it up!
    THE DEAL IS FREAKING LIFE! I read it a bunch of times this year as well. It's just so good! It demands to be read. I read The Score and Dean is my second book boyfriend for sure (Garrett takes first place obviously).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes. The Deal is freaking awesome. It's worth a hundred rereads. Omygosh I'm so excited to read The Score!!!!

      Delete
  8. In what genre does the Night Huntress series belong? I haven't heard about it before but this post makes me wanna read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paranormal, urban fantasy. It's about vampires. You should go read it! It's a really great book :D

      Delete
  9. I've only read THE WRATH AND THE DAWN from your list *fail* But I have most of them in my to-read list so I hope I get to them soon!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...