Thursday, February 21, 2013

DELIRIUM Read-a-Long Discussion Post #2 (Chapter 8-14)


1) Lena says she is looking forward to the cure because it is a "chance to be reborn: newer, fresher, better". Although we don't have "the cure" can you relate to Lena?
-In a way, I understand Lena's eagerness for the cure especially with the kind of past she had and the pain it brought her in the present. I think alot of people can relate to it although I can't begin to imagine myself without love no matter how painful it is or how broken it made me. “You can't be happy unless you're unhappy sometimes.” Same as with pain, I guess. You can't ever be out of pain if you haven't experienced it in the first place. It's not always perfect in love.

2) What events do you think shaped Lena's world view? Why do you think she is so eager to accept the cure and be rid from love once and for all?
-Her mother most definitely. She witnessed how it affected her mother and her sister and at that time she still didn't understand. When she finally did, I think it felt worse.

3) Music plays an important part in these chapters -- when Lena goes to the party in the field she experiences been swept up by the unauthorized music and it moves her. Have you ever had a similar experience? If you were to make a Delirium playlist what songs would you include?
-I've always been moved by music. In fact, it's one of the things I can't live without. As for the playlist, I haven't really thought about what song I'd associate with it. Hmm. 'Just Give Me A Reason' by Pink is definitely one I'd include.

"Just give me a reason
Just a little bit's enough
Just a second we're not broken just bent
And we can learn to love again
It's in the stars
It's been written in the scars on our hearts
That we're not broken just bent
And we can learn to love again" 

4) Carol said that believing in Invalids living in the Wild is similar to believing in werewolves or vampires, make-believe stuff, but then we learned that Alex is from the Wild. What do you think is really out there?
-A scattered community of Invalids who live not as organized or settled since obviously, they are cut-off from the society which means they have very limited resources.

5) We learned a bit more about the society Lena lives in, particularly about the cure and the often violent raids. What do you think about the worldbuilding in Delirium after reading chapters 8-14? Why do the raids have to be so violent and humiliating?
-At first, I really thought a society like that is supposed to be peaceful so I was really surprised to learn about the raids which turned out to be so ruthless and harsh! It is absolutely terrifying which is probably the government's point in order to maintain the people's fear of breaking their rules.

6) Which particular event do you think caused a breakthrough in Lena's perception of the political system and cure? When do you think she first started having doubts? What affected her the most?
-Meeting and then knowing and falling for Alex. Lena knows deep down of what it feels like to love but she was clouded by what happened to her mother and then her aunt and the government's warnings about the disease. She sees and knows everything there is to know about the system and the cure, in a way. But at that time, she does not realize the truth in it yet. So Alex was the trigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...