Saturday, February 16, 2013

DELIRIUM Read-a-Long Discussion Post #1 (Chapter 1 - 7)

Here are the questions and my answers for Chapters 1-7 of Delirium:

1. What is your first impression of the world building in Delirium?
-It's interesting actually. It definitely made me ponder on certain things the first time I was introduced to it. At first, I don't really know how to picture it. There are a lot of rules to follow like in socializing with other people, the use of resources are pretty much limited including electricity and personal cars, and curfews for everyone.

2. In Delirium, love has been classified as a disease. Do you think that, in some ways, love could be considered a disease? Why or why not?
-Don't think so. The "symptoms" mentioned are true and can be witnessed in real life (in severe cases, I believe) but I won't consider it a disease. Love is not all bad. And a little bad is what makes life interesting; for me, anyway.

3. The government's rules are very strict - upon turning 18 everyone has to undergo a procedure that will "cure" them of love once and for all. Could you live in a world without love?
-'Course not. Even if I am not a romantic, I can feel love and it's really sad reading the parts in the book describing those who are "cured". And I don't want that, ever. PS I can't even begin to imagine if I ever fall out of LOVE with my books.

4. Count how many times you say or hear the word love in one day (you can also guesstimate). How many times would you have been punished if you lived in the world Delirium is set in?
-I can't remember the last time I said the word love out loud but I'm sure it's not often, maybe twice a month? Or less. But I think and write it a lot. I loved this book, I loved that movie, I love this dress, etc. etc. So the odds that I'll be punished is very low.

5. What do you make of Alex? Lena notes that he has the scar of being cured, but he still appears to be flirting with her. He also works as a security guard at the lab in which there was a breach and all the cows were herded in on evaluation day.
-I think that's the catch. His actions certainly does not coincide with those who are cured whereas Lena is the exact opposite of his personality, all caution and control considering her past. So MAYBE, Alex is an Invalid in disguise and he'll change Lena's perspective!! Haha. I really hope so!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...