Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Review: The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden by Jessica Sorensen

The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden
(The Coincidence #1)
by Jessica Sorensen
Published: December 13, 2012



There are those who don’t get luck handed to them on a shiny platter, who end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, who don’t get saved.

Luck was not on Callie’s side the day of her twelfth birthday when everything was stolen from her. After it’s all over, she locks up her feelings and vows never to tell anyone what happened. Six years later her painful past consumes her life and most days it’s a struggle just to breathe.

For as long as Kayden can remember, suffering in silence was the only way to survive life. As long as he did what he was told, everything was okay. One night, after making a terrible mistake, it seems like his life might be over. Luck was on his side, though, when Callie coincidentally is in the right place at the right time and saves him.

Now he can’t stop thinking about the girl he saw at school, but never really knew. When he ends up at the same college as Callie, he does everything he can to try to get to know her. But Callie is reserved and closed off. The more he tries to be part of her life, the more he realizes Callie might need to be saved.


There is a reason why I am not really into contemporaries. They are my refuge when I want a break from all the PNR's and Science Fictions and fantasy and dystopian overload but that's it. If I read too much contemporary I can't help but feel like everything is cliched and stuff. I admit that I find this genre can be very limited in terms of the plot.

In this case, being a messed up teenager with a dark past you want to leave behind is definitely screaming cliche to me. But even then, here is where the authors do their part in making such a common situation become remarkable. So despite my reluctance in picking this up, I gave in seeing all those recommendations and reviews. But after reading the book, I don't know what to think.

I did like the book, enough not to completely abandon it but sometimes I find myself in too deep with the characters and the situation and in other times it feels like I am skimming the surface. I would classify this as a light read no matter how dark this is supposed to be but it's not like I was too caught up in the story. There are some predictable scenes though I don't dwell too much on that realization because I did enjoy reading this book. Of course I wouldn't make the mistake of not checking out the sequel. The ending might not have surprised me but damn if it didn't make me curious of what would happen next.

Words!
“In the existence of our lives, there is a single coincidence that brings us together and for a moment, our hearts beat as one.”

“It's amazing how the things you remember forever are the things you'd rather forget and the things you desperately want to grasp onto seem to slip away like sand in the wind.”

3 comments:

  1. Seems like a good book. I use contemporary romance as a getaway, too. I agree with the plot limitations. Those quotes you have at the end are deep, especially for a contemporary romance! Maybe I'll give the book a try :) great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NICE BLOG :)
    http://cutenailtutorials.blogspot.gr/ PLEASE FOLLOW ME AND I WILL FOLLOW BACK SO YOU CAN HELP ME BUY MORE PINA BUTTER

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so curious about the new adult genre, I have only read one book considered NA but, I really enjoyed it and it has made me so excited because I am personally not a big contemporary fan, they bore me. I keep seeing this one on amazon and I might just pick it up, Thanks for your thoughts!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...