Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Review: Rockoholic by C.J. Skuse

Rockoholic
by C.J. Skuse
Published: November 1, 2012




She's got it bad, and he ain't good -- he's in her garage?

"I'm your biggest fan, I'll follow you until you love me..."

Gonna have to face it: Jody's addicted to Jackson Gatlin, frontman of The Regulators, and after her best bud Mac scores tickets, she's front and center at his sold-out concert. But when she gets mashed in the moshpit and bodysurfs backstage, she's got more than a mild concussion to deal with. By the next morning, the strung-out rock star is coming down in her garage. Jody -- oops -- kind of kidnapped him. By accident. With a Curly Wurly candy bar. And now he doesn't want to leave.

It's a rock-star abduction worthy of an MTV reality series...but who got punk'd?!

Rockoholic has been in my Goodreads TBR for a couple of years before I decided to finally read it. I'm just gonna go ahead and say that I ended up liking this book although there's one thing in here that frustrated me.

This book is about this girl, Jody, who accidentally kidnaps a rock star during his band's concert. She considers Jackson Gatlin her hero but upon learning his true nature, now what? This is where I start to dislike Jody a little bit. This sounds like those regular girl falls for a rock star and the rock star ends up liking her back kind of book but it's really not. The story is realistic in that sense. One can't really know someone from all kinds of articles you've read about him or her. It may be true, it may be not. And Jody, for the life of her, just can't believe that the man she worshipped all her life ended up not to be the man she thinks he is.

Jody can be so dense sometimes. She's 16 years old and I have no idea how a sixteen-year-old-girl would react to such "tragedy" because I've never been obsessed with someone to make me blind to reality. Jackson Gatlin is not perfect, he's rude and disrespectful and horrible, he's the biggest jerk ever. She experienced it herself but still, she refuses to accept it and I can't believe she actually puts up with him. Maybe she really is naive and she said herself how stupid she can be but girl, I hope you actually do something about it. Some of the things she's done are so ridiculous it's funny.

“He definitely doesn’t have a pulse, Mac. Look, come and feel.”

Mac eventually gets up and joins me by Jackson’s head, somewhat nervous. “Oh for God’s sake, you don’t feel for a pulse there! I thought you were trained in first aid! You’re touching his chin, the pulse is in his neck, like this.” He puts two fingers against his Adam’s apple. He fumbles around a bit. “Hang on.”

“See, see what I mean? Maybe some people don’t have them in their necks?”

Mac’s bewildered. “It amazes me you found the right way out of the womb.”

I definitely think she's not being funny but I laughed anyway. Because she's funny. See what I mean?

I laughed out loud plenty of times in this book and it really wasn't that bad despite what I thought about the main character. She just needs plenty of development (took her long enough). Even Jackson Gatlin, a pain in the ass he might be, turned out to be a friend who made Jody see what she's missing all her life. The most amazing thing in this book is Mac and I love him very much. He's the one who shakes Jody and shouts at her to bring her out of her stupidity. I like Jody the most when she's with Cree, my second most favorite character in this book. I just love it when books have a lot of baby sisters/brothers interaction :)

I've heard people say that for them the first half of Rockoholic is great and the other half, not so much. While Jody is being annoying at times it didn't make me hate the book. If you start reading this and think it's going downhill for you I suggest you stick with it until the end because I really think this turned out pretty great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...