Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Review: Paper or Plastic by Vivi Barnes

Paper or Plastic
by Vivi Barnes
Published: February 3, 2015




Welcome to SmartMart, where crime pays minimum wage...

Busted. Alexis Dubois just got caught shoplifting a cheap tube of lipstick at the local SmartMart. She doesn’t know what’s worse—disappointing her overbearing beauty-pageant-obsessed mother for the zillionth time…or her punishment. Because Lex is forced to spend her summer working at the store, where the only things stranger than the staff are the customers.

Now Lex is stuck in the bizarro world of big-box retail. Coupon cutters, jerk customers, and learning exactly what a “Code B” really is (ew). And for added awkwardness, her new supervisor is the totally cute—and adorably geeky—Noah Grayson. Trying to balance her out-of-control mother, her pitching position on the softball team, and her secret crush on the school geek makes for one crazy summer. But ultimately, could the worst job in the world be the best thing that ever happened to her?

I picked this book up on impulse. Okay, so that happens 99.9% of the time. Whatever. I wasn't in the mood for anything that was currently on my TBR pile and while I was making a New Releases post, Paper or Plastic caught my eye and... it just happened. I started it and I couldn't stop. Just ask my sister. I was halfway through when I left it open and she saw it and decided to read it (SHE ALWAYS DOES). She must have like it so much because when I came back she was laughing so hard at a particular scene and I couldn't pry the damn thing off her. When I did, she's already way ahead of me (she's an insanely fast reader and yes, I am freakin' jealous). I'm glad I ended up reading this - it was a really fast, cute and enjoyable summer read.

This book revolves around the summer Alexis spent as a SmartMart employee as punishment for shoplifting. SmartMart reminded me so much of Buy More and its assortment of employees.



There are plenty of laugh out loud moments and the main characters are so nice and very easy to like. Actually, most of the characters here are likable.

Noah is such a kind and sweet guy and while there are things that made it a bit complicated for Alexis, I'm glad that she isn't the kind of girl who lets her prejudices blind her. She's certainly learned a lot from the time she spent working at SmartMart and it was an eye-opening experience meeting the people who later became true friends despite the not-so hilarious and especially the hilarious disasters she's been through.

I also appreciate the kind of friends Alexis has. Sometimes I don't get why most books prefer the my-bestfriend-is-now-on-the-opposite-side-of-the-scale-so-I'm-ditching-her move even for the littlest things. I mean, you're bestfriends for a reason. And bestfriends talk and listen to each other. So it's a relief to see the kind of friendship they have here.

Of course, there are issues with friends and families, etc. but not so heavy with too much drama and were easily resolved. All in all, I highly recommend this book especially if you are looking for a light and fun read.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you did a review of this book. I enjoyed it... I need to do a review of it as well.. I love that you buy in buy more pics. LOVE Chuck! Great correlation. Thanks for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Chuck, too! Buy More was the first thing to come to mind when SmarMart was described, which is pretty accurate.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...