Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Review: Serial Hottie by Kelly Oram

Serial Hottie
by Kelly Oram
Published: July 10, 2012



Buy from Amazon

Hockey-obsessed tomboy Eleanor Westley has never been the object of a guy's affection before. So when the hottest boy she's ever seen moves in across the street and starts treating her like she's the center of his universe, naturally she's going to be a little skeptical. But everything starts to make sense when girls who look just like Ellie start dying all around the city. Obviously the new guy is the killer, and of course he only likes her because he wants to slice her into tiny pieces. Right? The more Ellie gets to know Seth the more she's convinced he's a psychopathic killer. Problem is, he's the sweetest psychopathic killer she's ever met. Not to mention he's brutally hot. No matter how hard she tries, she can't help but fall for him. Will Ellie find true love, or will her summer of firsts turn out to be a summer of lasts?

My.. wait, lemme count.. 1..2..3.. 5th! My 5th Kelly Oram book and I swear to everyone who's reading this that I'm gonna read all of them. Ever since I started her Jamie Baker series I was so addicted that I decided to read her other books. V is for Virgin followed with another swoon worthy guy and that's when I thought there's no way I'm not reading another one from her. Now V is for Virgin will be having an unexpected sequel ohmygosh someone give me air!!!

So, there's the kick-ass book with jocks and superpowers, the hilarious one involving Virgin Val and a rockstar, the book that's overloaded with cuteness about a girl's experiment on fixing her broken heart and now this.. with creepy guys and serial killers and disturbing moments. What totally threw me was Seth. I so did not expect to encounter a guy like him in a Kelly Oram book.

Seth. Blue-eyed, BMW-driving, rich, gorgeous Seth from Beverly Hills. It is common to read about a confident, spoiled, intense, smart-ass guy in a book. Seth is all that. But he's not only that. Sometimes - okay, maybe a lot of times - he is so intense he's really, absolutely creepy. You know in some books when a gorgeous guy is said to be creepy, stalker-ish and loves to invade personal space, especially the main character's object of affection, we all go, "Nah, he's just being sweet." Seth? No. Way. I literally shy away from him - or well, my laptop. My most frequent reaction when it comes to him, "OMG, dude, what the hell is wrong with you?" His character certainly made a difference in this book. I think it's one of the reasons why I liked it.

“I didn’t think killing one of your friends would help me win you over.”
It didn’t seem like Seth was exaggerating.
“I wanted to kill him, Ellie. I came close. Too close. So I left before something bad happened.”
Nope. He wasn’t kidding. Not at all.
Cut him some slack. He watched his mom get murdered. That’s bound to screw a guy up.
Seth noticed my unease and grimaced. “Creepy?”
Wincing, I held up my thumb and index finger about an inch apart. “Little bit.”

I love Ellie! She's one of the boys and she's never been the subject of their attention before, which is cool, until Seth comes in the picture acting so crazy about her it's disturbing. Seth is crazy jealous and possessive when it comes to Ellie so it's kind of adorable when confident, smirky Seth goes all insecure and hurt and confused when Ellie doesn't fall for any of his crap and certainly doesn't like the way she's being bossed around. And I really enjoyed the sisterly bond developed between Angela and Ellie. It's so adorable!

We fell into a big, fat, awkward silence. I mean, what was I supposed to say to that? Probably not what I said next, which was, “Have you ever noticed the similarities between you and the Saturday Night Slasher?”
It was just what came out of my mouth when I glanced at the muted TV and saw the news reporting something about the new curfews being implemented around the metro area. I felt really bad when Seth let go of me and turned slightly pale. “I’m sorry,”
I said through the hand I’d slapped over my mouth.
“Forget I said that. I just blurt out random crap when I’m nervous.”
“What did you mean? What similarities?”
“Nothing. I didn’t mean it. I was just thinking of something Angela and I were talking about earlier.”
Seth seriously looked appalled. It was worse than him getting angry. “You and Angela were comparing me to a serial killer?”
I cringed. “Um, no.” We were accusing you of being a serial killer.

Serial Hottie isn't as hilarious as Kelly Oram's other books which is understandable given that a serial killer is on the lose but I still laughed plenty. And most of it at inappropriate times. I mean, a guy draws a knife and Ellie is screaming her head off while I'm.. well, laughing hysterically.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book and I did fall a little for Seth. Obviously, I made a lot of guesses on who really is the killer (including Seth!). There are bonus chapters at the end of the book in Seth's POV and it's so cute, actually. He really can't help the way he is but reading his POV is kinda funny even with him thinking about stabbing someone. LOL.

When I mindlessly began brushing my fingers back and forth across the raised surface of Seth’s skin his breath caught, and he grabbed hold of my hand.
“Ellie,” he said, shaking off a wave of chills. “Be my girlfriend.”

SO.. I was reading this part and "Crazy For You" is blasting from our neighbor's sound system. I was very squeal-y, of course. WHAT? Ellie and Seth are cute together if you deduct the craziness.

*A review copy was provided by the author. Thank you, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...