Friday, April 5, 2013

Review: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Scarlet
(The Lunar Chronicles #2)
by Marissa Meyer
Published: February 5, 2013




The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.

I don't dread sequels that much but my eagerness to pick one up is always based on the previous book. Most of us readers are wary when it comes to them. We always expect two things: it will either be a disappointment or will turn out to be much better because really, we can't help it. That assumption comes to me in the end, though. I make it a point not to expect much because when I do, I find that's where I will most likely be disappointed.

The moment I finished Cinder, I just knew I have to read Scarlet as soon as possible. And like I always do, I did not expect anything but somehow I know, I know that this book is going to blow me away. If I really liked Cinder then I absolutely LOVED Scarlet (the book). What I find a little lacking in book one had me satisfied in one sitting with book two. Tons of adventure from Earth to outer space then halfway around the world with Cinder but now accompanied with a whole new lot of characters to meet!

I loved Cinder much more in this book. She's really funny but add Cadet or rather Captain Carswell Thorne in the mix and we have a new pair to look forward to with every chapter. The moment I met Thorne, I was breathless with laughter. Really, you can't blame me - I seriously love the guy. And don't worry! This book has loads of swoony parts too, thanks to Wolf and Scarlet. But don't stop there because there are a lot of action waiting in every corner what with the war and the monsters Queen Levana is about to unleash just to get what she wants. Much better, this book was written in various point of views. Some may think multiple POVs are a little confusing. Writing a book in such way is hard to accomplish in order to make your plot flawless and make it converge smoothly in the end. But Marissa Meyer did it so well so that every POV is important and very engaging.

One word verdict: brilliant. I've had my share of New Beijing and Europe - and even a little of outer space. Now I'm so ready for some desert adventure. I can't wait to get to Sahara! Cress.. 2014.. please come sooner. That is all I'm asking.

Words!

“Let me guess,” Thorne said. “Breaking and entering?”
After a long silence of examining the retracting mechanism, the girl wrinkled her nose. “Two counts of treason, if you must know. And resisting arrest, and unlawful use of bioelectricity. Oh, and illegal immigration, but honestly, I think that’s a little excessive.”
He squinted at the back of her head, a twitch developing in his left eye. “How old are you?”
“Sixteen.”
____________________

“We should take her with us.”
Cinder glared. “Are you crazy?”
“Crazy in love. She’s gorgeous.”
“You’re an idiot. Help me carry her into the living room.”
He made no argument, and a moment later the girl was swooped up in his arms without Cinder’s help.
“Here, on the couch.” Cinder bustled ahead of him and rearranged a few faded pillows.
“I’m good like this.” Thorne shifted his arms so the girl’s head fell against his chest, her blonde curls clinging to the zipper of his leather jacket.
“Thorne. Put her down. Now.”
____________________

“Maybe next time we’re on Earth you can pick up some sensors? I feel like I’m eavesdropping having the audio on all the time. It’s becoming awkward.”
“Awkward?”
The running lights brightened, reminding Cinder of a blush. She wondered if it was intentional.
“Scarlet and Wolf are saying gushy things in the galley,” Iko said. “Normally I like gushy things, but it’s different when it’s real people. I prefer the net dramas.”

Watch:

Video by: Fierce Reads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...