Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Review: Before I Wake by Rachel Vincent

Before I Wake (Soul Screamers #6)
by Rachel Vincent
Published: June 26, 2012



I died on a Thursday—killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul. The good news? He didn't get it.

The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school…

Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend.

But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life….

Funny thing about my review of Before I Wake is I originally did the whole thing in my mind while doing the dishes - that's me being a good girl, trying to make up for all the times I spend inside my room and not bother with reality. But since I have short-term memory loss (a total pain since most of what I want to write pops out of my head when my hands are unavailable to hold a pen or press a key), only bits of what I was able to remember is actually included here.

Whatever. I may have forgotten the words but I remember the feeling. Before I Wake left me musing everytime I put the book down - not that I want to. This book will put your mind and your emotions in a roller coaster you don't want to end. An addicting story that consists of a bunch of paranormal and human characters you rarely meet but will definitely love.

Recently back from the dead, our protagonist, Kaylee Cavanaugh, a bean sidhe and now a soul reclamationist. She's very brave, and selfless and still the girl I liked since I read book one. Even if her afterlife seems to threaten her hold on humanity, she is determined to make the most out of it. Then there are the Hudson boys, Nash - dreamy and hot, jock/bean sidhe and Kaylee's ex; Tod - dreamy and hot squared, reaper/bean sidhe, aka THE boyfriend. Sabine - scary and a living Nightmare known as a mara; Emma - human/Kaylee's bestfriend, loyal and understanding; Alec - half-hypnos and Kaylee's closest thing to a brother; the newbies, Sophie - former b*tch, currently half-b*tch, half-human/half-bean sidhe and Kaylee's cousin; Luca - necromancer and Sophie's boyfriend but unlike her girlfriend, he's nice. One of a kind, right? Don't judge them yet. Everyone one of them has a story to tell - one of the many things I admire in the book. For an unusual group such as that, let's not forget about the enemies hell-bent on destroying all of them, the hellions from the Netherworld that feeds on pain, envy, jealousy, greed and such things from the human world.

If the characters and the brilliant plot is not enough of an adventure for you, then leave plenty of room for some steamy romance because, dude, you might drown. Seriously? I'm on the verge of turning into full-on fan-girl mode. Tod is such a charmer! I really, really love him.

“You’re not lost, Kaylee. You can’t ever be lost, because I’ll always know where you are. And if I’m not there with you, I’m on my way, and nothing standing between us will be standing for very long.”

Eeeeehhh! Picture me as a crumpled mess on the floor. Kaylee and Tod are perfect for each other! They have their whole afterlives for that and despite every loss and loneliness immortality has to bring, at least they now have each other.

A lot of unexpected things happened in Before I Wake. It made me laugh, it squeezed my heart, it amazed me...the list goes on. Sad part: no quotes.. I can't be bothered to stop reading and take notes. Except that one from Tod which melted me into a useless puddle. I know I HAVE to include that. I'm so addicted to this series, that's all. I think it's time you guys meet these bean sidhes, too.

1 comment:

  1. I love the quote you provided. I have heard a lot about Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers series and it is on the top of my TBR list
    So I cannot wait to read it
    GREAT review
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...