Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Review: Perfect Lies by Kiersten White

Perfect Lies
(Mind Games #2)
by Kiersten White
Published: February 18, 2014




Buy from Amazon
National Book Store

Annie and Fia are ready to fight back.

The sisters have been manipulated and controlled by the Keane Foundation for years, trapped in a never ending battle for survival. Now they have found allies who can help them truly escape. After faking her own death, Annie has joined a group that is plotting to destroy the Foundation. And Fia is working with James Keane to bring his father down from the inside.

But Annie's visions of the future can't show her who to trust in the present. And though James is Fia's first love, Fia knows he's hiding something. The sisters can rely only on each other - but that may not be enough to save them.

This was.. wow. I don't even know how to begin. Perfect Lies is a good sequel though I can't really tell if it is better than the first book because I felt different reading each of them, but both in a positive way. Mind Games has more action while Perfect Lies is more into nail-biting anticipation of how this duology will be wrapped up.

I liked the change of perspectives from Annie to Fia and vice versa but I found it a bit disorienting at times. Each perspective happens in different time frames, events that played out after the scenes that ended Mind Games and leading to the end of Keane Foundation. But once I got the hang of, it was all good reading then. It's also obvious when it changes to Annie or Fia's perspective because they are so different from each other. Annie is blind so when I am reading her parts and put myself into her character I imagine myself in the dark as well. Sometimes I get carried away that when it changes to Fia's perspective I forget that Fia can see and I have to take time to adjust. Fia is so messed up it'd drive you crazy reading her perspective but it works.

I didn't expect a lot of romance in this book given the circumstances, especially Fia's. I mean, there is James who cares deeply for her. Fia loves him, too, but the whole vibe of their relationship has necessity spelled on it. Maybe if they are in a different situation.. I would love that so much for Fia. I'm glad with the way Perfect Lies ended in that department. After all she's been through, Fia needs all the quiet she can get so to hell with boys. But let me just melt here for a while because there is romance here and it's so sweet. I'm talking about Annie's, by the way. I squealed like a schoolgirl for her and I wouldn't mind reading more of it. Too bad this book is short (no problems getting bored or impatient reading this).

ONCE UPON A TIME, I WAS A LITTLE GIRL WITH A MOM and a dad and a sister, and the only monsters in the world were imaginary.

Then I became one of the monsters.

I couldn't help the flood of emotions when I read that. Poor Fia. She loves her sister so much she would do anything for her. Become that monster to protect her. Annie would also do the same for her little sister but since they were children, it was always her who needed saving. I adored the strong girl she became in Perfect Lies and make the choice for her sister who's drifting farther away from her. They've been through so much they both deserve a break. I think this book was great ending to their story.

3 comments:

  1. I have not read the first book yet, but it has been on my TBR for a long time now, and your review just gave me more motivation to read it sooner! This sounds so amazing! Great review! Divergent Gryffindor

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read the first book yet, but it has been on my TBR for a long time now, and your review just gave me more motivation to read it sooner! This sounds so amazing! Great review! Divergent Gryffindor

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this duology! The characters were good, the idea behind it was interesting, and it was filled with emotions! I was in LOVE, but the only thing I was struggling with, was the perspective changes and the time changes. I think there was just way too much switching back and forth. I don't mind two perspectives, but it was a bit much when it would go back to the past. Glad to see you that you enjoyed the ending!

    Lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...