Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Review: Justice by Jade Varden

Justice (Deck of Lies #1)
by Jade Varden
Published: December 24, 2011



Buy from Amazon

A House of Cards...

When you build an entire life on a foundation of lies, it only takes one truth for the whole thing to come crashing down. I never invited the truth in. I never went searching for it. I never had any reason to suspect that the two people I loved most were dishonest with me every second of every day.

I made one bad decision, and in a single day my entire world changed. If I'm ever going to discover the truth about myself and my parents, I have to trace all the lies back to their source. I have to try to find the truth that they're hiding.

The more I discover about myself, and my past, the more I realize that lies really are better than the truth. But now that I know the lies are all around me, I can't stop until I've discovered them all. I'll pull each lie away, one by one, and examine it to see what's underneath…until this house of cards crumbles into dust at my feet.

I just hope I can survive the crash.

Ah, well, this certainly turned out to be a great read. I don't know what I was expecting but I knew I was going to enjoy this when I read that summary. That alone can gain a reader's interest. Book summaries can be vague but a lot of them are also deceiving. "Her life is about to change.." and all those blah-blah phrases.

When you build an entire life on a foundation of lies, it only takes one truth for the whole thing to come crashing down. I never invited the truth in. I never went searching for it. I never had any reason to suspect that the two people I loved most were dishonest with me every second of every day.

This one got me all excited instead of saying, "Yeah, yeah.. I've heard all that before." The writing style is great and while I wasn't able to connect very deeply with the characters I found them very likable that I really enjoyed reading the book.

As hinted, Justice is about a lie that changed the life of the main character, Rain Ramey. It was introduced fairly early in the story and I wasn't surprised with the turn of events so I was pretty sure there are more gasp-moments further into it. The rest of it is mainly about the mystery surrounding the lie and how Rain adjusts to this new life she was introduced. There are certain events that I couldn't figure out the connection to the main topic. Obviously, there are still a lot of lies to uncover so I expect to find that in the sequel.

There is romance though it's the type that doesn't take over everything in the story. I actually liked it. Rain is a nice girl and she handles her romantic relationships well in a sense that it doesn't turn into a complicated mess that leaves her life oh-so-hard (there was that one WTF moment when I wished as much as Rain for a hole to swallow me).

I liked the way this book ended. Despite the issues each of them have with each other, I would love to see Rain and her family get along with her. It's so sweet and it gave me a lot of hope for them. But I know for a fact that all these doesn't end here and I am excited to find out more.

*Review copy provided by the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...