Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Review: What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang

What's Left of Me 
(The Hybrid Chronicles #1)
by Kat Zhang
Published: September 18, 2012




I should not exist. But I do.

Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . .

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.

I really liked this. Not enough? No? Okay. So what did I like about this book? For one, the concept is interesting and not something I always come across with though I saw one review say that this is like The Host by Stephenie Meyer which I haven't and will probably never read. But I saw the movie so I know what the story is about. I don't know why I haven't thought of it before because it does sound like The Host but I can't really compare them and I won't so let's just stick to What's Left of Me.

People in this book are born with two souls - "two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance". At a certain age, only the dominant or stronger soul will remain and the other will fade into nothingness. But there are those whose other soul refuse to settle and therefore still inhibit the body (though stripped of control) along with the dominant soul. They are called hybrids and they are not accepted in the society.

I loved Eva and Addie's relationship. I guess that's a given since obviously they should be a two in one type of thing. They love each other, they understand each other and they don't want to be separated ever. A lot of the things you'd encounter will be about what it is like to be a hybrid. How unfair it is for the society to label them as dangerous when the most horrible thing they can do is refuse to let go of their other soul. And also a lot of other hybrids as well. The story was told in Eva's perspective and I loved it because she is the one whose supposed to be gone - the weak soul. It's kind of touching to see these interactions between Eva and Addie and what a struggle it is for Eva to want to experience control again even for a little time along with the fact that her existence must be kept secret.

It wasn't very hard to get into the book and it was fairly easy to understand the whole concept. I was grateful for that fact especially since I was surrounded by a lot of intense and mind boggling books at the time. There are questions I would love to know the answers to but What's Left of Me was overall a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...