Monday, October 22, 2012

Review: Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock

Hemlock (Hemlock #1)
by Kathleen Peacock
Published: May 8, 2012

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

Mackenzie and Amy were best friends. Until Amy was brutally murdered.

Since then, Mac's life has been turned upside down. She is being haunted by Amy in her dreams, and an extremist group called the Trackers has come to Mac's hometown of Hemlock to hunt down Amy's killer:

A white werewolf.

Lupine syndrome--also known as the werewolf virus--is on the rise across the country. Many of the infected try to hide their symptoms, but bloodlust is not easy to control.

Wanting desperately to put an end to her nightmares, Mac decides to investigate Amy's murder herself. She discovers secrets lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, secrets about Amy's boyfriend, Jason, her good pal Kyle, and especially her late best friend. Mac is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her life at risk.

Kathleen Peacock's thrilling novel is the first in the Hemlock trilogy, a spellbinding urban fantasy series filled with provocative questions about prejudice, trust, lies, and love.


 This book, and I mean this book right here (I’m practically shoving it in your face), is one of the best I read this year, I tell you.

First off, let me just say that I am not a fan of werewolves. I’ve always been wary when it comes to books about them. I think New Moon is the first one I’ve read concerning werewolves and even that wasn’t what it purely was about since they’re usually associated with vampires.

I don’t know why exactly. I think they’re weird fictional characters with their history and all. But now I can say that Hemlock definitely changed the way I feel about them. Basically, it is the first book I read since New Moon. When I first read the summary, it was what immediately caught my interest and had me decided that maybe this is the time I try reading were-books and boy, was I in love?

One of the factors that made me pick up this book is the concept. It certainly has a different approach on werewolves other than what we already know and has loads of mystery and thriller in it!

When Amy died, her best friends were left to cope up with their loss, each of them carrying the blame. So when Amy starts appearing in Mackenzie’s dreams, the more she thinks the reason behind her best friend’s death is not just of a rabid wolf. And with these arise complications that threaten Mackenzie, Kyle and Jason’s friendship.

Mackenzie is easily one of my favorite characters, brave, smart, caring and most especially, decisive; I really like her the way she is. She’s not the damsel in distress kind of girl but also not the full-on bravado type who thinks she can do anything herself.

Jason and Kyle have been best friends for a long time before Mac became a part of their group; both keeping secrets of their own and cares for her the way friends should. I really like both of them with Jason all dark and aggressive while Kyle the calm and reasonable one. And here comes the romance. Ohmygod the romance! I can’t even begin to tell you just as it’s the best! There’s a love triangle, and obviously a very good one! I won’t say any more just that you read it and see for yourself lest I spoil you if I don’t stop.

The plot is perfect and well-built with lots of twist and suspense that will leave you guessing and anticipating until the end. With an achingly wonderful story of friendship, love, loss, betrayal, Hemlock left me equally satisfied yet hungry for more! A highly recommended must-read to everyone!

Words!
“Were you avoiding me?” I asked just as Kyle said, “It’s okay if you don’t want to be alone with me.”
“I was trying to give you space,” Kyle answered just as I said, “I’m not worried about being alone with you.”
“Sorry.”
“Sorry.”
He looked so miserable and lonely that, suddenly, all I wanted to do was find a way to make it better. Make him better. I crossed the few feet that separated us. “Ummm, Kyle?”
“Yeah?” he muttered.
“You’re kind of a bonehead.” He opened his mouth, but I rushed on before he could say anything. “If I’m seeking you out—like, you know, say, calling you—I don’t need space.”

Watch:

*video by harperteen

3 comments:

  1. I'm like that about Zombies. No "Walking Dead" for me. And I agree, Hemlock is a great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, zombies are kind of out for me, too. But now I'm trying to make my way towards them. I just finished Alice in Zombieland and it wasn't bad. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure if that is a concept I will ever be comfortable with, but I do try to challenge myself every now then so who knows. And you're welcome!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...