Saturday, October 27, 2012

Review: The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa



The Lost Prince 
(The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten #1)
by Julie Kagawa
Published: October 23, 2012

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.

That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.

This novel is one of Julie’s books that will have you demanding for the second one as soon as you finish your read.

I must admit that the Iron Fey series is one that really got to my heart and will forever be etched in my mind. And no one, NO ONE can ever best Ash, Meghan and Puck’s trio; including Grimalkin, of course. It was practically their presence I am eagerly seeking for in The Lost Prince. This book is a different story in itself, told in Ethan’s perspective with few new characters introduced, one of which is Keirran, Meghan and Ash’s son. And although it was Ethan’s story, it feels like this series wouldn’t be complete if I don’t get to see the four of them, and I cherished every minute they were present.

Ethan being all dark and broody learned to push everyone away in order to protect those he love from the fey he feared since he was a kid. Until he met Kenzie and was forced to drag her into the world she never knew existed. Seeking the help of the sister he thought had abandoned and forgotten them, he was thrust back into the place he swore never to return again.

He may have been a jerk for the most part but I really think his attitude is, in a way, essential to the story. For all the resentment he’d felt towards every fey, he eventually learned and understood the decisions his sister has made as he journeyed through the Nevernever, this time for his own quest. He is the exact opposite of Keirran, respectful, polite and a little playful.

What really captured me, not only in this spin-off but of the whole Iron Fey, is the world-building. I really admire the way it was made having a solid and very realistic foundation of creating a world based on scientific facts, our own mythical beliefs, and long lost dreams but also coping up to the advancements of the modern world. A world solely based on our very own imagination converged with reality.

These are the type of books that made me pause and ponder on the little things we’ve always dreamt and came up with small realizations however fictional it may be. The type that made me think, if I got as old as I can get, this book would never fail to touch my heart, stir a memory and one that I would never stop living in, a brilliant world of make-believe no one can ever take away from me, a treasure that I will everyday reminisce and must never lose it’s true value.

The Lost Prince is a satisfying start for yet another mesmerizing series that will leave you awed and swept away in a fantastic and adventurous journey with queens, faeires, glamours, the forgotten and breathtaking magic.

Words!

“Bit of advice, darling,” she said as we started to leave. “Unless you want to find yourselves in a dragon’s lair or on the wrong end of a witch’s bargain, it’s never a good idea to annoy the cat.”

“Ethan.” Her voice, so familiar, flowed across the room and drew me forward as if I was a little kid once more. Meghan smiled down at me, and any fears I had that she had changed, that she was some distant faery queen, were gone in an instant. Stepping from the dais, she walked up and, without hesitation, pulled me into a tight hug.

Watch:
  
*video by harlequinbooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...