Thursday, November 19, 2015

Book Cover Battle: A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnston

Today's book cover battle features one of my favorite covers this year: A Thousand Nights by E.K. Johnston. But before we go there let us talk about the book first.

Lo-Melkhiin killed three hundred girls before he came to her village, looking for a wife. When she sees the dust cloud on the horizon, she knows he has arrived. She knows he will want the loveliest girl: her sister. She vows she will not let her be next.

So far I've heard mixed things about this. It's a One Thousand and One Nights retelling that I have yet to read but certainly will. I read The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh, which is another One Thousand and One Nights retelling that was released earlier this year and I loved it. But I've heard not to compare it to A Thousand Nights because while they have the same premise, they are complete opposites.

Now to the covers...


It's definitely the US cover (left) for me. The UK edition (right) is pretty, the colors eye-catching, but I think the US edition is gorgeous. It's more detailed, I love the typography and the colors, that girl in her pretty dress, and the words that surround the title which I think makes up a sentence (not sure since I can't read some of the them). It's a cover that you can relate to the story.

BUT. Have you seen the hardcover UK edition in person? It freaking looks like this:



Note: THIS IS NOT MY PICTURE. All credit goes to Amanda of Brains, Books and Brawn.

WHY? Why are you doing this to us? If I have to choose which physical copy to buy I am most probably going with the UK edition just because I think it's worth my money. If I'm rich I'm going to buy both ;D

Which is your favorite cover? When buying physical copies of books do you consider things like if a hardcover is worth it? Do you care about covers or editions, or do you just buy everything 'cause it's hard to choose?

6 comments:

  1. OH OH WOW. I had no idea the UK hardcover was so so gorgeous. *swoons* I just have a UK ARC so it's got the same colours but no title. It's still pretty. ;) I would probably pick the US one though!! I just prefer the dark blues to the purples! :P
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The US cover looks better! I prefer the dark blue, as well. It hurts my eyes to look at the bright purple. But I can't resist the UK edition, too. I'm torn ;(

      Delete
  2. These are gorgeous!! I do agree that on cover alone the US version wins, but the UK one is just a super luxe total package 😍I do think a lot about covers and the book's appearance when I buy a hardcover, since they can be pretty pricey, and if it's not "worth" it I'd rather get an ebook or wait for paperback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. Unless the hardcover is cheap then I'd definitely choose it over paperback or ebook "worth it" or not. haha

      Delete
  3. I prefer the US cover as I like the front cover more, the image and the font and the girl in the dress, it all makes for a very stunning picture. It fits the Thousands Nights image better in my opinion. I think the UK cover looks a bit bland and the colours clash, when it's only the front cover, but when you see the picture of the whole book I do like it more and the inside of the book does look pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with everything you said. I love the pink and yellow combination under the jacket of the UK edition. And those edges!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...