Thursday, March 20, 2014

Review: Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop

Murder of Crows
(The Others #2)
by Anne Bishop
Published: March 4, 2014




After winning the trust of the terra indigene residing in the Lakeside Courtyard, Meg Corbyn has had trouble figuring out what it means to live among them. As a human, Meg should be barely tolerated prey, but her abilities as a cassandra sangue make her something more.

The appearance of two addictive drugs has sparked violence between the humans and the Others, resulting in the murders of both species in nearby cities. So when Meg has a dream about blood and black feathers in the snow, Simon Wolfgard—Lakeside's shape-shifting leader—wonders whether their blood prophet dreamed of a past attack or of a future threat.

As the urge to speak prophecies strikes Meg more frequently, trouble finds its way inside the Courtyard. Now the Others and the handful of humans residing there must work together to stop the man bent on reclaiming their blood prophet—and stop the danger that threatens to destroy them all.

I remember reading Written In Red last year and loving it that when my sister asked me for any good book to read I recommended it to her. And then we both talked about it and how we're dying to have the sequel so bad. I found out Murder of Crows was released more than a week early in another country and I was so happy when I got my copy because it seriously felt like I got it a year earlier. Too bad my sister wasn't home to read it with me. But I didn't matter because all of my attention was focused on this book anyway. It was that good.

Some people might say this book is slow when it comes to the plot. I think it is, actually. But I don't mind because as far as I'm concerned, this is great story-telling. I admire the way it was written. There is subtlety and viciousness.. and it all comes together into this one amazing book about Namid's creation - humans and the Others - and how they coexist through time, the line separating them from each other beginning to blur as humans begin to take sides. There was a time when everyone lived somewhat peacefully. Humans get what they need from the Others and the humans provide something in return. A win-win situation. But as time goes on, humans hunger for power and they want to take it from the Others. And the Others are there to let them see that it's never a good thing to take what's not yours. It was because of this that humans and the Others are enemies. That is, until Meg.

I love the relationships developed throughout the story. It was obvious that since Meg arrived at the Lakeside Courtyard, things have changed a little when it comes to their relationship with some humans. The characters and the way they interact with each other gives the book much more meaning than bloodshed and fighting and revenge. Though that, too, was pretty awesome. Sure, the action and all the paranormal creatures and Tess' hair are cool.. but nothing beats the moments when Meg orders cookies for the wolves (in different shapes and flavors), or when Simon's all confused about his feelings for Meg, or when some of the human courtyard employees help the Others with their problem.. all the bonding times, with humans, with wolves and movie nights. It says a lot. And I really, really love that.

Oh no. Am I getting all sentimental now? Well, I love this book and I'm dying to have the sequel. Now get up and buy your own copies ASAP. Stare at the beautiful cover first then read it and I hope you enjoy it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...