Monday, March 24, 2014

Review: Angel by L.A. Weatherly

Angel (Angel #1)
by L.A. Weatherly
Published: October 1, 2010




Angels are all around us: beautiful, awe-inspiring, irresistible.

Ordinary mortals yearn to catch a glimpse of one of these stunning beings and thousands flock to The Church of Angels to feel their healing touch.
But what if their potent magnetism isn't what it seems?
Willow knows she's different from other girls. And not just because she loves tinkering around with cars.
Willow has a gift. She can look into people's futures, know their dreams, their hopes and their regrets, just by touching them. But she has no idea where she gets this power from.

Until she meets Alex…
Alex is one of the few who know the truth about angels. He knows Willow's secret and is on a mission to stop her.
The dark forces within Willow make her dangerous – and irresistible.
In spite of himself, Alex finds he is falling in love with his sworn enemy.

Angel Burn - that's what it says on the copy I have of this book - is the lucky one that grabbed my attention in the middle of my Teen Wolf marathon. I haven't opened a single book for a week because of that TV series. It's not like I was on a reading slump. I really am in the mood to read but I can't because I have so little free time and everytime I decide what to do, Teen Wolf wins. Thank you, by the way, Angel Burn. Because of you I am now only 7 books behind my Goodreads Reading Challenge. Thankyouverymuch.

Anyway, last week, I was really determined to catch up so I did the staring thing at my shelf and then this book was like, GODDAMMIT GIRL PICK ME. PICK ME RIGHT NOW. So I did. Admittedly, it took me almost 4 days to finish because I am alternating between this and - surprise, surprise - Teen Wolf.

My first thoughts about this book? It was actually a little 'mmmmkkay'. And then it started to pick up. At first I thought I would hate Willow but as it turned out, I actually like her. Then Alex entered the picture and I was praying so hard that PLEASE NO INSTALOOOVE. Everyone, exhale. There isn't. I liked the gradual change of relationship between Willow and Alex in the first half of the book. THE FIRST HALF. The romance was okay though it turned out to be instalove-y after all. Thankfully it's not the annoying one where the girl can't seem to function without the guy. It was really cheesy though! Lots of drama. And I was really hoping for this book to be action-packed. My hopes were crushed. Not a lot happened actually. Which was a surprise because this is a pretty thick book - more or less 450 pages with small font size - and I did not get bored.

I did enjoy reading Angel Burn but not as much as I was hoping. A saw a lot of great reviews about this and I can see the appeal. It's a good book, generally speaking. If you ask me if I am going to pick up the sequel my answer would be yes, probably. But it is a matter of time now. I wouldn't put it as my top priority since I have a lot on my pile, not to mention the second book is way thicker than book 1. I don't see any reason why not, though.

2 comments:

  1. I thought this was an enjoyable read but it didn't wow me either. It did have pretty good action scenes when those came up. I haven't even pick up the next book in the series though so I look forward to reading your thoughts on it when you get to it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad there wasn't insta-love, that drives me insane!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...