Thursday, February 13, 2014

Review: Cress by Marissa Meyer

Cress (Lunar Chronicles #3)
by Marissa Meyer
Published: February 4, 2014




Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard.

In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.

Read the first 5 chapters!

"I serve my princess. No one else."

Ah, that is one heck of a line. One that made me sit straighter and say "Oh. Oh, that is amazing." I highlighted it, dammit! But I'm afraid it was directed to someone else.

For a most-awaited and an unputdownable book, it sure took me a longer-time-than-usual to finish reading Cress. I got my copy of both Cress and Ignite Me right as it was released and I was so torn on which to read first but then I got sick that night and ended up reading NOTHING. When I finally decided to read Cress first and Ignite Me on Valentine's Day, I kept stopping – and unfortunately in the most exciting parts, I might add – because of school (and the occasional Flappy Bird when my classes got the best of me).

But what matters most is that we have the gang back! And with the recent addition of a couple of "misfits" aboard The Rampion, this book is nothing short of exciting. And swoony, too! I'm crazy over two guys here.. Thorne, my bad boy equivalent and hilarious as ever crush; and Kai, my nice guy crush. See? You won't run out of options here. There's also Wolf, who can be considered the villain in other books but he's totally on our side; Cress, our tech savvy; Scarlet, Cinder, and of course, everyone's favorite android, Iko!

I just love everything about this book. Characters, action, romance (and there are several, trust me)..

“So you were just going to keep it hidden forever?”
Forever?” Cinder waved her arm toward the window. “You are the emperor of an entire country. There was never going to be a forever.

..and the world-building.. I can't even begin to describe how brilliant Marissa Meyer is. It's so diverse. It felt like I went on a world tour that concluded in space. New Beijing, France, Sahara.. and now en route to Luna. Oh, how I can't wait to land on the moon. But my ship must be faulty since it would apparently take a year before I could get there. In the meantime, let us all pout. I wonder what Marissa Meyer is thinking about right now. I bet it's Winter. I hope so. I would die for a sneak peak.

I have a lot of favorite parts in this book. I've reread the last few chapters several times *giggles* but my most favorite is probably the one in Farafrah. It was so clever. One moment I was so full of anticipation and then I'm like "NOOOOO. That was close. So so close!". It's like the author keeps disappointing your expectations only to give you a much better outcome than you've imagined.

I love that this book is written in third person because eventhough it lessens the suspense (pretty easy to figure things out ahead of time) it makes it all the more exciting. I can't count the times I shouted, "Holy crap, Kai. It's her. IT'S HER!!!" or— no.. I don't wanna spoil anyone who hasn't read this yet. I think it can be considered a crime, you know. I don't know what you're waiting for but you're definitely missing something big. THIS SERIES IS AMAZING I CAN'T EVEN.. Maaaaan, enough rambling. Have to occupy myself with other books before I go crazy thinking about the impossibility of an early release of the fourth book.

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking of reading your review but then again I haven't read the book yet (still waiting for it to arrive) and I don't want some ideas from the book--I want it all be surprise so I'm gonna skip for now and just thought loved it (I briefly saw caps lock; that must be a good thing). I hope I would too. I love this series so much!

    I'll come back after reading it! :D XD

    Michelle, The Escapist.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...