Thursday, July 11, 2013

Review: Ascend by Amanda Hocking

Ascend (Trylle #3)
by Amanda Hocking
Published: April 24, 2013



Wendy Everly is facing an impossible choice. The only way to save the Trylle from their deadliest enemy is by sacrificing herself. If she doesn’t surrender to the Vittra, her people will be thrust into a brutal war against an unbeatable foe. But how can Wendy leave all her friends behind…even if it’s the only way to save them?

The stakes have never been higher, because her kingdom isn’t the only thing she stands to lose. After falling for both Finn and Loki, she’s about to make the ultimate choice…who to love forever. One guy has finally proven to be the love of her life—and now all their lives might be coming to an end.

Everything has been leading to this moment. The future of her entire world rests in her hands—if she’s ready to fight for it.

Ah, well, it's been more than one year ago when I read the previous books, Switched and Torn, but I haven't had a hard time catching up. I remember the first time I stumbled upon this trilogy. My mom dragged me to this seminar she's attending out of town and of course I got bored. I mean, I wasn't the one presenting or anything and I didn't want to go anywhere. Why would I when I had my trusty e-reader with me? So I did what I do most of the time. Scan through all my e-books and when something catches my eye, read the first paragraph or chapter and if I don't like it move on to the next one, and the next, and the next, until I find something that will satiate my boredom.

So this. I enjoyed Switched from the start and I had a hard time parting with it when it was finally time to go. It's a fresh read. Uh, trolls? How's that for exciting? It's unusual and hard to picture but that's what made me all the more eager to know about it. It surprised me to notice halfway through the book how much I liked it; when I finally decided to look away from my reader for at least a minute and take a breath.

I enjoyed Ascend as well. It's a combination of politics, paranormal stuff and romance. And that was one complicated romance. See, Wendy, the main character, is the princess of Trylle and with her mother, Elora 'the Queen' dying, she pretty much runs everything now especially with the looming war between them and the Vittra (where his evil and immortal father is King). Not everyone likes her in her current position but she has her loyal friends  to back her up. She was arranged to marry Tove, a high-ranking member of the Trylle. She's not in love with the guy but for the sake of saving her Kingdom, she will. It's not all that cliche since Tove is a really good friend and they are good for each other in that 'ways-to-run-our-Kingdom' aspect. I like Tove's character and I wouldn't mind if they really end up together forever. But there's also Finn. He's Wendy's first love but he's only a tracker. I honestly don't like him for Wendy. For one, their relationship is kind of one-sided. I pity Wendy for trying to fight for their love, even thinking about having a normal human life just so she could be with him. But he's like, 'That would be awesome! But I can't, so I wouldn't.' So okay. Buh-bye Finn. If it all comes down to love with happy-ever-after, I ship Wendy and Loki. Loki is a prince of the Vittra and formerly an enemy. Obviously not anymore. I liked him since book 2. It's hard to explain so please just read the book so you know what I mean. haha. He's the opposite of Finn so go figure :)

The book was mostly serious and sad. Many people have already died because of the war. Everyone is in chaos and Wendy is doing everything she can to remain strong for them despite their doubts. Her mother is dying, she's about to kill her father, and it seems like everyone she loves will soon be dead, too. No pressure or anything. But there is this one part I enjoyed. Ahh. The part I'm talking about has lots of awkwardness in it. It was kind of refreshing. Sometimes it's hard to remember that they're just a bunch of teenagers trying to win a war, save their people and just take time live a normal life.

Ascend is a good ending to the trilogy. Everything was wrapped up nicely; the romance part, Wendy's relationship with her mother.. each character had a proper ending to their stories. It was a happy-ever-after, after all. My blood approves. Oooh..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...