Thursday, June 11, 2015

Underrated Genre: Steampunk

Steampunk is a subgenre of fantasy and science fiction set in an era where steam-powered machinery is still widely used — usually the 19th century.
"What the past would look like if the future had happened sooner."
Source: www.cmemag,com

I haven't heard a lot of people talk about this genre, or talk about books in this genre. Of course, there are the well-known ones like The Infernal Devices, Parasol Protectorate and Leviathan series. But, overall, Steampunk is probably not the most popular out there especially today. And to be honest, it's not really the kind of genre that everyone would immediately gravitate to and enjoy. I haven't read plenty of Steampunk books either but the few I've read, I loved.

There are less than 10 books in my Steampunk read-list. My most favorite is, obviously, The Infernal Devices trilogy by Cassandra Clare. I wasn't a big fan of The Mortal Instruments, or City of Bones to be specific (never finished it and currently not planning on continuing with the series), but I absolutely loved TID.

  

Next is the Steampunk Chronicles by Kady Cross. Remarkable and funny set of characters, a headstrong female main character, kick-ass, not to mention they are friends with Nikola Tesla.

   

And then there's Destiny's Fire by Trisha Wolfe which I really, really enjoyed. So much that a sequel would have been awesome. But here I am, years later, still waiting.


And lastly, Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff. A mix of steampunk and Japanese mythology. It's kick-ass and bloody and heartbreaking.


Well, that is all of them. Though I have plenty of Steampunk titles that have been added to my to-read list years ago. And since I am in the process of going through the first half of the books that are in my Goodreads tbr-shelf as much as I can, this is as good a time as any to read more Steampunk.

Parasol Protectorate Series by Gail Carriger
    

The Leviathan Trilogy by Scott Westerfeld
  

Something Strange and Deadly Trilogy by Susan Dennard
  

Iron Codex Trilogy by Caitlin Kittredge
  

Ironskin Trilogy by Tina Connolly
  

The Dark Unwinding by Sharon Cameron
 

Gone With the Respiration by Lia Habel
 

The Unnaturalists by Tiffany Trent
 

and some stand-alones:

  

I can't not say it: THESE COVERS ARE GORGEOUS.
Have you read any steampunk books? Did you like it? Share your thoughts below!

6 comments:

  1. You have featured a lot of cool book covers, Haraiah! I love them. Great picks. It's my first time to know of this genre. Honestly, I think I am not really into "steampunk" base on The Infernal Devices. I have not read any books from that author and maybe never.

    Yani at Paper Boulevard's Recent Post: Author Interview + Audiobook Clip: Because You'll Never Meet Me by Leah Thomas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TID isn't my first steampunk read (it's the only series I read by Cassie Clare) but I found myself really enjoying the genre. I hope you find something that you will enjoy. Not a lot of people are into steampunk :D

      Delete
  2. I have heard of most of these series, but haven't read any of them. The only steampunk book I remember reading is the first book in Susan kaye Quinn her Dharian series. I loved that one, although I haven't read the next two books yet even though I own them. Oh and I read the first parasol protectorate book, but it wasn't really for me. It's not that I don't enjoy the genre, it just seems no one is really talking about this genre and I don't hear about these books. I might have to give a few more books in this genre a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! I love the steampunk aesthetic and haven't had to read as much of it lately, but do love what I have read so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read a few of these but need to read some more. Thanks for the recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Steampunk soo much - as a fashion style and as a genre. And the covers are gorgeous. I've read The Infernal Devices and The Steampunk Chronicles, and some short story collections. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...