Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Review: A Faerie's Secret by Rachel Morgan

A Faerie's Secret
(Creepy Hollow #4)
by Rachel Morgan
Published: June 16, 2015




Calla Larkenwood wants nothing more than to be a guardian, but her overprotective mother has never allowed it. When circumstances change and Calla finally gets to join a Guild, she discovers guardian trainee life isn’t all she hoped it would be. Her classmates are distant, her mentor hates her, and keeping her Griffin Ability a secret is harder than she thought. Then an initiation game goes wrong, landing Calla with a magical ability she can’t control. She needs help—and the only way she can get it is by bargaining with the guy who just discovered her biggest secret.

Join beloved characters and new heroes as the bestselling Creepy Hollow series continues.


I never thought the day that I would see more of my beloved characters from Creepy Hollow would come. When the Faerie War ended I thought that was it. It was to every Ryn’s fans extreme delight when two short stories came out in HIS perspective. Now the proper reaction to that would be a lot of flailing and hopes for more Ryn POV. Particularly the secret passage and magic carpet ride scene that I know are favorites.

When Rachel Morgan announced there’s going to be another Creepy Hollow book I almost passed out from excitement. She let us guess whose perspective it’s going to be and immediately I thought Calla. It has to be. Calla means more Ryn and most possibly Violet, and who wouldn’t want that? So here we are, 10 years after the events of Faerie War, in Calla’s perspective. But fans of Ryn and Vi, don’t you worry. Lots of exciting things for you here so watch out *hint wink nudge*.

Calla is different from Vi as a main character. She's more enthusiastic and... girly, you could say (Vi would knock you on your ass if you call her girly)? Don't get me wrong because Calla is just as determined and totally kick's ass. She's Oryn Larkenwoods little sister, after all. But the fact that she has a mother, a father, and an older brother who cares deeply about her and is involved in her life gave this book a more teenager-y vibe compared to the previous books. And while Vi was focused on getting the top Guardian position from the start, Calla was raised away from Guardian life. The romance! Just thinking about it makes me... think of that frigging plot twist. Like, ohmygosh, how can you do that? How did that happen?

Can we just take a minute to admire that badass cover and Calla's awesome hair and golden eyes? This book is every bit as badass as that cover. And to be honest, ever since I read Faerie Guardian years ago, this series still is one of my top favorites. It could easily compare, if not outdo, other non-indie books out there. It's action-packed and fast-paced with awesome characters, great worldbuilding, great romance, and a story that has morals. So if you haven't read this book yet, you should because it's now out and waiting for you.

Read my review of the first three books in this series:
The Faerie Guardian
The Faerie Prince
The Faerie War

I highly recommend this series. If you're one of those who are not aware of its existence, it's time you pick it up. There's a dragon in here. You know how awesome dragons are. There is also Filigree who I'm sure you will end up loving and wanting as much as I do. And romantic dates and hot make out sesh in secret passages :) What more could you ask for?

*And ARC was provided by the author for this review.

1 comment:

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...