Monday, February 16, 2015

Review: The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend
by Kody Keplinger
Published: September 7, 2010




Buy from Amazon

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

The DUFF. The Designate Ugly Fat Friend. Bianca Piper doesn't even know such a thing exists until Wesley Rush, the womanizing playboy of their school, told her that she is one and prompted her to throw Cherry Coke at him. Every group has one - the unattractive, undesirable tagalong. And Bianca has to admit that she is nowhere near as attractive as her two outgoing, gorgeous bestfriends.

*Wrote that first paragraph, like, a year ago. Now I am determined to finish writing this review. Moving on..

I really, really like this book except Bianca. She aggravates me most of the time. She is so cynical. She hates anything and everything and.. okay. I can roll with that but, girl, you don't have to be so vocal about it all the time and make it sound like anyone who goes to prom and have a good time are idiots. She doesn't even care that people might be offended. Uh, not everyone hates the world like you do.

Wesley Rush! I love him so damn much. I like his role in the story as more than just the love interest. He introduced Bianca to "the DUFF" but besides that, he became Bianca's escape. Both Bianca and Wesley suffer from family problems and both ended up getting close to each other because of it. Wesley is really nice and funny. I liked the romance because of him.

Most of all, I liked the concept of the book and that eventually this label may be the reason that some people got the confidence to be themselves or got over their insecurities. It may have put a wedge between Wesley and Bianca but in the end there was understanding and realizations that came with it. And I freakin loved that ending! It's so casual and smooth and somehow perfectly summed up the book. I've reread The DUFF a million times since I first read it and I'm so excited for the movie even if it doesn't look like it's the same as the book.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book as well. I'm excited to see the movie. I don't really mind that it's not going to be like the book. It's not one of those books where I think that it's important that they got it exactly right in the movie.
    Emma Likes Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your review! I was wondering if you could tell me if you would recommend it? I haven't read too many contemporary books, and looking for a few to add to my TBR list. There is a lot of hype with this book, and am wondering if it is just an over-hyped book? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend it! I read The DUFF without knowing what people really thought about it and I enjoyed it so much :)

      Delete

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...