Thursday, August 21, 2014

Review: Cracked by Eliza Crewe

Cracked
(Soul Eaters #1)
by Eliza Crewe
Published: November 5, 2013




Meet Meda. She eats people.

Well, technically, she eats their soul. But she totally promises to only go for people who deserve it. She’s special. It’s not her fault she enjoys it. She can’t help being a bad guy. Besides, what else can she do? Her mother was killed and it’s not like there are any other “soul-eaters” around to show her how to be different. That is, until the three men in suits show up.


They can do what she can do. They’re like her. Meda might finally have a chance to figure out what she is. The problem? They kind of want to kill her. Before they get the chance Meda is rescued by crusaders, members of an elite group dedicated to wiping out Meda’s kind. This is her chance! Play along with the “good guys” and she’ll finally figure out what, exactly, her ‘kind’ is.


Be careful what you wish for. Playing capture the flag with her mortal enemies, babysitting a teenage boy with a hero complex, and trying to keep one step ahead of a too-clever girl are bad enough. But the Hunger is gaining on her.


The more she learns, the worse it gets. And when Meda uncovers a shocking secret about her mother, her past, and her destiny… she may finally give into it.


There are some people you know you shouldn't anger because it isn't right. Like your mom – if she’s the nice sort.
There are other people you know you shouldn’t anger because they have the authority to punish you. Police officers, politicians, insane asylum wardens, your mom – if she’s the bad sort.
But there are some people you shouldn't anger that you don’t know about, because no one ever survived to warn you.
I’m the third kind.

When I meet Meda, or someone like her, I want us to be friends.
Simply because I don't want to be on the wrong side of the scale. This girl would split you in two and feed off your soul. Like, literally. And she would have helluva good time doing it.


I eat what leaves with the soul at the kill. The life. The demons get it from Hell; I get it from assholes.

Seriously, why isn't everyone reading this?! This book is so freaking enjoyable. You get a front row seat to experience high-def villain's point of view. We don't get something like that often. One that really works so perfectly for the main character of the story. Meda is one girl you really don't want to mess with.

I'll leave it to you to read the book summary above to know the gist of the story lest I spoil you if I explain it here further. But know that this book is worth picking up. The main character is very likable (depends on which side you're on, I guess; I'm team Meda all the way) and eventhough she's a badass demon that means a lot of gore and crazy stuff follows her everywhere she goes, you won't be able to help yourself but laugh from time to time.

Chi strips off his leather vest and I hold it as he peels off his hoodie, pulling his shirt up with it. I get an eyeful of carved six-pack abs and bite back a whistle. Demon-hunting must be good for the physique. The looks of an angel and yet all it makes me want to do is sin.

Gods, I love Meda. Oh, and I have a theme song for her:



Obviously, this book is action-packed. Meda kicks-ass. That is, if she doesn't rip your throat out first. I know this review - if you can even call it a review - is short but I hope it's enough to convince you to read this before Meda comes to you in your sleep. You don't want her sneaking on you so it's better to be prepared. She likes to play with her food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...