Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Review: Mind Games by Kiersten White

Mind Games (Mind Games #1)
by Kiersten White
Published: February 19, 2013




Fia was born with flawless instincts. Her first impulse, her gut feeling, is always exactly right. Her sister, Annie, is blind to the world around her—except when her mind is gripped by strange visions of the future.

Trapped in a school that uses girls with extraordinary powers as tools for corporate espionage, Annie and Fia are forced to choose over and over between using their abilities in twisted, unthinkable ways…or risking each other’s lives by refusing to obey.

In a stunning departure from her New York Times bestselling Paranormalcy trilogy, Kiersten White delivers a slick, edgy, heartstoppingly intense psychological thriller about two sisters determined to protect each other—no matter the cost.

Mind Games, I should say, is my kind of book. Uh, extraordinary powers and assassins? Duh. Always count me in. For such an awesome book complete with thrilling and dangerous turn of events that left me hoping for more, this one is really short.

I had a great time reading Mind Games. It's better than Kiersten White's Paranormalcy series in my opinion. The story is about Fia and Annie who both have special abilities and were recruited to an exclusive school designed for girls like them. It was told in alternating point of views of Fia and Annie, a combination of the past and present setting. I was captivated by the author's writing style in this book. There is a dark and dangerous edge to it that left me thrilled but written in a very creative way and at the same time direct to the point. There are moments where I'm really amused with the characters. Who'd have thought sweet and happy Annie has a bit of a sarcastic streak in her?

I loved the main characters especially Fia. Her character was so wonderfully written (in first person POV) that it's so easy to connect with her. She's angry all the time; the responsibility she took when their parents died since she was a child and the decisions she'd made all for the only person she loves in the world left her so messed up that reading her parts is like living her life. And the feels... She shares an admirable bond with her older sister. Fia is so protective of Annie that she'd do anything to make her happy and safe even if it takes her own happiness and sanity. Oh, and did I mention I love James? No? Well, yeah. Now you know. He plays a large part in the sisters' life.

I really enjoyed this book and I am now impatient for the sequel. And the ending! No cliffhanger, by the way. I just loved it! Mainly because it was how I wished the book would end. That Fia would hopefully choose that certain path and she did! Only with a better outcome than I have imagined. Ha! Does that mean my instincts are close to Fia's now? If only. Really, her ability is so cool.

Words!

"No. Your job is to fight back and get out of the room in spite of getting shocked." She smiles pleasantly. "Consider it an exercise in focusing through pain."
I should have smashed her head in with the chair, seen how well she could focus then.
___________

"James. Keane. James Keane." He sticks out his hand for me to shake it.
I keep my murderer hands to myself.
"Keane as in the Keane Foundation?"
"The very same!"
"I should bash your brains in right now."
___________

"Sofia, I have done something very bad."
"I'll bet I've done something worse."
"I would love to hear it if you have. But I get to go first. I have broken into a boarding school for special teenage girls."
I shove him back, glare. "That's it? That's pathetic."
"It's not! It's very, very bad. You see, I brought whiskey with me. Stolen whiskey."
I yawn, patting my hand over my mouth.
"Stolen from the dean of my college."
I check the watch I am not wearing for the time.
"After he expelled me."
I look him straight in the eyes. "I delivered a package bomb that killed two people."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...