Sunday, November 4, 2012

Review: Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter

Alice in Zombieland
(White Rabbit Chronicles #1)
by Gena Showalter
Published: September 25, 2012

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.

Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.Her father was right. The monsters are real….To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies….

I wish I could go back and do a thousand things differently. I'd tell my sister no. I'd never beg my mother to talk to my dad. I'd zip my lips and swallow those hateful words. Or, barring all of that, I'd hug my sister, my mom and my dad one last time. I'd tell them I love them. I wish... Yeah, I wish


 May it be books or movies, I steer clear of zombies. I’m so glad I decided to read Alice in Zombieland. I really enjoyed the book that I wasn't at all tempted to ditch it despite my initial reaction towards zombies.

After Ali had seen the very monsters her dad feared devour her family in front of her and caused her to lose them, it was too late let him know she believed him. Transferring to a new home and a new school, she met people who just might be able to help her destroy these monsters and a friend who made her loss bearable.

I liked Gena Showalter's approach on zombies as evil spirits that only a few can see – the ones who have faith and believes they exist – and the conflict between the people who destroys them and those who wants their existence and use these spirits for other purpose. That's what made me like it even more. This book was kick-ass and oh-so hilarious!

I really like Ali and she's funny! Also, she knows how to kick some zombie asses which is a factor I like in a female character. She's smart and brave that even if it hurts her to do so, she makes her decisions based on what she think and feel is right. And Kat is just the perfect friend for her. She's the one who made Ali cope with the loss she felt after the accident and she makes her smile. I actually like her attitude. She's funny and very lively but also a very loyal friend.

And the romance is just as good. Cole has violet eyes! Ohmygod. Don't you think it's sexy? Definitely. Despite the mysterious visions Cole and Ali share and the attraction she felt towards him (you can't blame her, really), it didn't fall into insta-love! That's what it usually it, right? But not in this book. Ali is not the infatuated and clingy type and refuses to let Cole tell her what to do or let him affect her in any way. And Cole says they have to get-to-know-each-other before they decide what to make of they're relationship. After all, Cole is not the only one that Ali has to think about all the time.

I definitely enjoyed reading this book! I did not expect my first zombie read to be this fun. Although at first I really thought this was a retelling of Alice in Wonderland and I keep waiting for the time when Alice falls into the hole and meet the red queen. It doesn't matter anymore because I love it and it's even better. A fresh and original story of creep-tastic zombies and kick-ass characters that will make you laugh and swoon the entire time.

Words!
Okay, so these are two of my favorite parts in the book. Nana and Pops are very amusing, saying all those slang words teenagers use these days and they're all about protecting Ali that they interrogate the boys she'd met at school before they go out with her. I laughed really loud my mom and dad looked at me strangely and I was like "Um, I have to finish something in my room!" And then I ran and was shaking with laughter the entire time.

Justin's interrogation
Here’s how it went down:
Pops: Plans for the future?
Justin: Not sure yet.
Pops: Well, why not? You don’t got much longer in school, boy. Now’s the time to figure things out, not later. Didn’t anyone ever tell you that you can’t spell later without the word late?
Justin: I promise you, I’m doing my best to figure things out.
Pops: “Doing my best” is a phrase failures use. Why don’t you buy a man card and finish figuring?
Me: Pops! That’s so rude. Justin, I’m so sorry.
Pops: What? How is a valid question rude? But all right, fine, I’ll move on since baby boy can’t take the heat. How about you finish this sentence for me, Jason? When a girl says no, she means…
Justin, looking desperately at me: No?
Nana: Are you not sure?
Justin, shifting uncomfortably: I’m sure. No means no.
Nana: Well, look at you. You got one right. Now here’s another, even tougher sentence for you to finish. Premarital sex is…
Me: Nana! I’m so sorry, Justin.
Nana: Unlike Pops, I’m not moving on. Justin?
Pops: His name is Jason.
Justin: Uh…uh…
Pops: While you think about that, why don’t you tell me how you feel about drinking and driving?
Justin: I’m totally against it, I swear!
Nana: Methinks he protests too much.

Cole's
The moment we were in position, the interrogation began.
Pops: Plans for the future?
Groaning, I dropped my head in my hands. He’d kicked things off with Justin the exact same way. Guaranteed, he’d end the same way.
Cole: College, law enforcement.
Nana: Oh, I like him better than that other boy already.
Pops: Good, that’s good. Now finish this sentence for me. When a girl says no, she means…
Yep. Exactly the same.
Cole: No. And that’s that. I don’t push for more.
Nana: Another excellent answer. But here’s an even tougher sentence for you to finish. Premarital sex is…
I should have let the zombies have me.
Cole: Up to the couple. What happens between them is no one else’s business. Sorry, but not even yours.
Both Pops and Nana blustered over that for a minute, but they soon calmed down. I, of course, blushed the most horrifying shade of lobster. (That was just a guess.) However, I found Cole’s answer exceptional.
Pops: That’s fair enough, I guess. So how do you feel about drinking and driving?
Cole: I think it’s stupid, and that’s one thing you’ll never have to worry about with me and Ali. I never drink, and if she does, I won’t take advantage of her. I’ll bring her home. I’ll always look out for her safety, you have my word.
Nana: Aren’t you just a breath of fresh air?
Pops: He is. He is indeed.

Watch:

*video by harlequinbooks

2 comments:

  1. So, so happy you liked it. Ali and Kat are like my fav characters.

    I think this is a great zombie book for people who don't read zombie books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,I did! I enjoyed every minute! I agree this is a great book.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...