Saturday, May 18, 2013

Review: Losing It by Cora Carmack

Losing It (Losing It #1)
by Cora Carmack
Published: October 5, 2012




Virginity.

Bliss Edwards is about to graduate from college and still has hers. Sick of being the only virgin among her friends, she decides the best way to deal with the problem is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible-- a one-night stand. But her plan turns out to be anything but simple when she freaks out and leaves a gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one with half-a-brain would ever believe. And as if that weren't embarrassing enough, when she arrives for her first class of her last college semester, she recognizes her new theatre professor. She'd left him naked in her bed about 8 hours earlier.

You want to know what made me pick this book up? Nothing. There's no particular reason. I was just looking at all my books trying to decide what I'm in the mood for at the time (despite my yet another attempt at making a TBR list this month -- here I go ruining it again) and Losing It caught my eye. I tried to remember what the book was about but thought it doesn't matter. I'll just scan it for a while and find something later that's really a part of my list. Five chapters later and I only just realized that I haven't skipped a single word.

Losing It was a fast and light read. Definitely a refresher from all the dark and tragic contemporaries I've recently come across with. I was so rooted to my spot that I finished the book in one sitting, occasionally stopping to catch my breath because, man, it's hilarious! The plot was pretty simple. College student, Bliss Edwards, finally decided to lose her virginity one evening and met just the perfect candidate for doing it. What she did not expect though, was freaking out in the middle of it all that led to the funniest and most awkward situation ever.

What I first thought to be a book that would mostly focus on sex and forbidden relationship and would probably bore me if that was the case, was a witty, heart-warming story of friendship and life in general. This book has such awesome characters that it's hard not to be so involved in the story. There are a lot of things I loved in this book. For one, Bliss and Garrick's relationship (and how they've handled it) was so believable. Also, talking about college graduation and final performances, future careers, theater and acting and Shakespeare topics; happy, outraged, and drunk moments with friends and classmates; the anticipation of being chosen as the coveted character in a play -- it's all very realistic. It made me imagine what it would be like for me two years from now, when it is my time to graduate as well.

Now I have no idea how to conclude my review. But I want to say that Losing It had a great ending and over-all I loved it! I'm excited to read the second book, Faking It, which will come out this June and will be Cade's story *flailing* I love Cade!! So, yes! Yes! Yes! Oh, and my parting words --  read this book!

Words!

He took a step back. “Right. Might be time for a little more reason, little less passion.”
I laughed, but inside I was giving the middle finger to reason. It had ruled me long enough.
_________________________________

After that, it was like everyone felt okay to say what we were actually thinking, instead of what we felt was expected of us.

We spend so much time defending our choice to do this that it becomes hard to show any vulnerability at all. There’s only so many times you can handle someone asking about your fall back for when things don’t work before you start thinking that maybe the fall back should just be your plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...