Monday, August 20, 2012

Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian (Lux #1)
by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Published: November 29, 2011

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is. 



I've heard of this book way before but after reading the synopsis I was like, huh, aliens. Interesting. Not really into them, though. How often do I come across a book about aliens? Right, never. So I decided to wait until later to read it. And by LATER, I meant 8 months which is waaaay long. It wasn’t until a few weeks back, when I started blogging that I paid attention to this book again. And I’ve been hearing A LOT, which made me really curious as to what I’m missing. I don’t even want to think about how much. I can’t believe I waited that long before I finally became another victim of this book obsession.  I expected creepy and dark and whatever thoughts you can associate with aliens. And then the usual: new girl, doesn’t fit in, noticed by the hot guy and BAM!, insta-love. Well, this book turned out to be none of these. 

Obsidian is not what I expected AT ALL. It was more and I loved every minute I spent with it! I was captured right from the very start and by then I knew I was a goner. The plot is well thought and I liked J.L. Armentrout’s writing. And that cover, I can’t stop staring at it. Every once in a while I’d stop reading and just stare, and stare, and stare some more. That’s exactly how I'd like to imagine Daemon and Katy. PERFECT.


This book.. it’s.. it’s.. amazing and brilliant and hilarious and Daemon is a freaking-gorgeous-alien-jerk and HE’S.DRIVING.ME.CRAZY. He is, hands down, the hottest creature to ever roam the Earth! He can be a jerk, well, always but it’s only because he is very protective of his sister and after what happened to his twin brother Dawson, he has to be extra cautious, thus, the attitude. And then there’s our fellow blogger Katy (how cool is that?) whom I knew I'd love immediately after reading the first paragraph. I admire her bravery and how she always think things through. I also love how Katy handles Daemon and his horrible attitude with witty comebacks resulting to their countless banter. I haven't even finished the first chapter yet but it seems like I won’t. What with me repeating numerous passages that made me laugh so hard. And Dee! I really love her! At first, I expected Dee to be the opposing twin, the annoying and bratty sister who will never allow his brother, Daemon, and Katy together. But no, she is the perfect friend for Katy and she’s really supportive with whatever’s going on between the two even though it’s not a very smart move because you know, they’re aliens and they have an existence to protect and rules to follow.

On another positive note, one thing I was really glad about reading this book just now is the fact that the sequel is mere days away from being published. This means I won’t have to suffer that long waiting in vain because I can’t get enough of it. Of THEM!

Books like this... I swear. It’s the one you don’t want to read in a library or alone somewhere public where you don’t have a friend to cover you unless you want to look like a complete lunatic laughing all by yourself or grinning like an idiot or melting and swooning!

5 STARS!

Onyx, the second book in the Lux Series is out now! 


Onyx (Lux #2)
Summary:

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…

Check out the trailer for Onyx:

4 comments:

  1. I have recently finished this one. It was so good that I couldn't put it down! I'm looking forward to read the next book in the Lux Series :)

    Samaine@ Bookworms Avenue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! It was seriously addicting. I can't get enough of it. Happy reading!

      Delete
  2. I really love this series! I made the mistake of reading Obsidian in public (which I usually don't, but I couldn't help myself!) and I swear everyone thought I was a lunatic (for good reasons, too, I was laughing and swooning so much). After that incident, I will never read a JLA book in public again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Good decision. I remember being hooked right from the start! Ugh. I miss Katy and Daemon so much. I can't wait to read Oblivion!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...