Friday, August 30, 2013

Review: The Girl with the Iron Touch by Kady Cross

The Girl with the Iron Touch
(Steampunk Chronicles #3)
by Kady Cross
Published: May 28, 2013




In 1897 London, something not quite human is about to awaken.

When mechanical genius Emily is kidnapped by rogue automatons, Finley Jayne and her fellow misfits fear the worst. What's left of their archenemy, The Machinist, hungers to be resurrected, and Emily must transplant his consciousness into one of his automatons—or forfeit her friends' lives.

With Griffin being mysteriously tormented by the Aether, the young duke's sanity is close to the breaking point. Seeking help, Finley turns to Jack Dandy, but trusting the master criminal is as dangerous as controlling her dark side. When Jack kisses her, Finley must finally confront her true feelings for him...and for Griffin.

Meanwhile, Sam is searching everywhere for Emily, from Whitechapel's desolate alleyways to Mayfair's elegant mansions. He would walk into hell for her, but the choice she must make will test them more than they could imagine.

To save those she cares about, Emily must confront The Machinist's ultimate creation—an automaton more human than machine. And if she's to have any chance at triumphing, she must summon a strength even she doesn't know she has....

Cover comments first since this one is an attention grabber. If you've read this series, which you should, there's no doubt that girl is Emily. The red hair is enough clue but holy wow, I couldn't think of a better face to fit my imagination of what 'the girl with the iron touch' would look like. Bad-ass outfit with steampunk-y motif? Oh yeah. I covet that hair and outfit.

I'm still in love with the series. That hasn't changed. Maybe never will. I've been very excited to read The Girl with the Iron Touch ever since I read the last paragraph of the previous book, The Girl in the Clockwork Collar. It wasn't as good as the first two books but it was still an enjoyable read.

I love the way Kady Cross writes especially her characters. I've probably mentioned this before, how I loved the differences between each of them that made them who they are, brave and selfless. Throughout the book, I admire how deep the friendship goes between Finley, Emily, Sam, Griffin, Jasper and even Jack. It doesn't matter whose perspective you are reading because everything is equally enjoyable and at the same time important. Another thing I love is how they treat each other. Griffin maybe the Duke and the leader of the group, Finley might be the deadliest, Sam the strongest, or Jasper the fastest, and Emily the smartest but there's no thinking of whose the best. They have their weakness and even though one may be stubborn at times, friends will give you the space you need but you can't drive them away. Not when they know you need them. Seriously, what I wouldn't do to be their friend.

The plot was as great as the previous two books. It was never a surprise that their old enemy would be back and I think it wasn't intended to be the life-changing twist in the first place. It was what came with it that surprised me, though. I know I've said in my review of The Girl in the Clockwork Collar how I was looking forward to the romance between Finley and Griffin. Well, I wasn't disappointed and although it didn't take the whole part of the book, I'd say the story was focused on a lot of romance not only Finley's and Griffin's. Maybe 40% of it? But it's mostly on the mystery so there wasn't much action until maybe the last few chapters of the book which made me a little sad because The Girl with the Iron Touch is shorter than books 1 & 2. All the more reason why I can't wait to read the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments! I love knowing your thoughts and I will try to respond as much as I can. Don't worry! I don't bite. Just a little reminder, this blog is award free. Thank you and ENJOY! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...